Monday 11 December 2017

To Sophia, Mi Amor

Dearest Sophia,
I write to you with words that are foreign to us, so that I can hone my craft. Mi amor, understand that my words are sincere, as you well know.

It's been two years since we left Sacelea. Our Amelia has grown fast since that dark day. She runs so fast, like her mother, mi amor. Though I am sorry to say she asks less and less of you. Do not fret dearest, for I believe that one day she will ask for stories of you and I will gladly tell them. Most of them, but not all. Some stories I fear are best untold and I don't think I can tell her the last story.
 
Our nephew Milo has grown quite sullen. I fear our flight has robbed him of his youth, and I still blame myself for that. I lashed out at him in a moment of foul temper. I regret it, and have tried to make amends, but he will not forgive me. I don't forgive myself either.

I must also confess something else. I have taken Reyna for a wife. I struggled with the guilt of that but I was so lonely, as was she. You are first in my heart, just as my brother, Leonardo, is first in hers. On the road we shared in sorrow, and now we have come to a new place, and we share in hope. Sperenza is the name we have given her. Her hair is dark as night, but her eyes are as blue as the sky. I wonder if the fairies have given us a princess for our troubles, and she is a happy baby. 

We've settled in the town of Tempered Vale, rent is not cheap, so I've got to get work. It is a wild region, with much wilderness, so unlike our homeland. A group of mercenario have taken me on. I will try to use my skills as a musician in the future, but now I focus on my old tricks. I hope you are watching me from afar and bless me with your love. 

Your husband, Anton

1 comment: